Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Salsa Gravy Soup

The majority of the time that I am knitting something is when I am watching a TV show. My second greatest passion after knitting is media. I can and will bore your pants off about media in every incarnation if you let me. (This is my other blog I co-write with Austin Lugar. We talk about pop culture and sometimes Sherlock Holmes.) I usually watch TV shows on my computer, at my computer desk. It is technically my computer desk but it is also my food storage, my accountant, my medicine cabinet. It's multi purpose. After being a desk, it is more often my dining room table. I eat at my desk more than I eat anywhere else. It's probably a bad habit but it stems from watching TV while eating dinner with my family when I was a kid. I don't feel right unless I'm watching something while eating my meals. Hence eating at my desk all the time.

So I knit and I eat a lot in the same area.

There have been numerous times I have spilled things on the project I was working on.

Soda (onto a baby blanket for a family friend)
Gravy (So this is a funny story. I didn't even know I spilled the gravy until much later. I was using the blanket as a cushion for my chair because my desk chair kinda sucks [it was free]. I went to refold this blanket and on one corner I noticed what I thought was cat vomit. I then tried to think of when a cat could've vomited on it since I haven't lived with a cat in many, many months and the blanket had been created after I had lived with any cats. Turns out it was just gravy. Cat vomit = gravy. At least in appearances.)
Soup (on almost everything)
Noodles (ditto)
Salad dressing (I don't exactly remember this but I'm sure it's happened)
Water (This happens so often I don't know if it should count. I have a drinking problem. Get it? Drinking problem? Okay.)

The latest incident involved salsa and a monochromatic scrap blanket.


I started this blanket because I firmly believe that you can never have too many projects to work on. There are some people who are project monogamous and kudos to them but I am not that person. I probably never will be. I have countless scrap blankets that I'm working on, each one devoted to a different amount of leftover scraps. I regularly have to go and organize it just to keep things straight. I'm alright with that.

I started this blanket because I have wanted a zig-zag blanket for a long time. I love the way they look and how the different yarns and colors act with each other. And they're just fun.

I started this blanket because a friend of mine started one and I couldn't resist any more. I kept telling myself not to start another blanket until I had finished SOMETHING but I couldn't wait any longer. So I went and gathered all of my scraps that were grey, gray, black or white or any combination there of. And I casted on.

I really do like how this blanket is turning out. I was working on it again, trying to use up what I have set aside for this right now. It was a Lazy Day. A day when I didn't want to accomplish anything which more often than not is just about every day. I can blame lots of things here but it all is probably my fault. So I sat and I knit and I ate.

In my early college years I had heard of stories of people living off of ramen and frozen dinners that you can get 10/$10. I never faced that. I never had to deal with it. Sure, I was broke, but I always made sure I had money for food. This year has been the hardest year for me, financially. Lots of sorta expensive things all were due at once and I couldn't put them off so I put off buying food. It helps that I am resourceful and that I am creative and I don't mind eating the same meal repeatedly. I finally went grocery shopping for the first time in two months. I bought food I knew I could freeze and I knew would last me a while since I don't know when I'll be able to afford to go grocery shopping again. But I did get food I wanted. Like chips and salsa. I love chips and salsa and it's one of the few foods that I don't have to worry about if I can eat it or not. (Having a gluten intolerance sucks.)

That was my lunch. And dinner. And drunk snack. All was going great until I went to measure the blanket that I had been working on all day. I wanted to see how much progress I had made. And as I slid my chair away from the desk and laid the blanket down on the floor beneath it, my bowl of salsa, freshly topped off, fell. I'm not quite sure what caused it to fall whether it was my headphone cord or my measuring tape or something shifting, but it tumbled. Right onto my blanket.

Luckily I work with acrylic.

Luckily I am a quick thinker even while slightly inebriated off of cheap wine.

Luckily no one was in the bathroom.

My blanket got an emergency shower at 12:30 on a Saturday night.

Who says you have to go out to have a fun and exciting night. (I guess your definition of "fun" and "exciting" could be different from mine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment