Friday, June 14, 2013

Inheritance

Boy, that last post sure was a bummer!

As you may recall, I recently inherited a lot of yarn from a family friend. A lot of the yarn was baby yarn that is designated to make baby blankets with for someone or to donate. But included was a box of yarn that our family friend's daughter had given her. And it was good stuff. Completely untouched. Included were three skeins of Hello Yarn's Fat Sock.


I don't get to knit with nice yarn often or ever. I'm a frugal person by nature and even more so when I don't have any extra spending money, like the past six or so years. The few times I allowed myself to splurge on things that I didn't need but I had money for, I was always on vacation which was really just a conference that I was calling a vacation. I don't think I've ever been on a vacation. I've gone on family trips but those are sometimes more stressful than regular life. 

This yarn has been sitting on my desk since I unpacked it. I've wanted to make SOMETHING out of it but I didn't know what. I was dead-set on making socks even though I now live in Florida where sock, especially thick ones, are not really ever needed (so I'm told.) And then I realized I had enough for a small shawl/scarflette thingy. So that's what I did. I found a cute French pattern that I had to translate (I only had to translate three words. It's a simple pattern). So far it sorta feels like knitting a washcloth. A bit at least. Not a whole lot. I'm hoping to get something to wear when it gets chilly, because again, I'm told it doesn't really get "cold" here.  

I'm hoping one day that I'll have the ability to buy myself nice yarn. Not all the time, but every once in a while as a little present to me. Gotta get me a job first though. 

In an attempt to end on a lighter note than last time, I just accidentally elbowed the cat in the face. She more of jumped into my elbow as I was moving my arm. I didn't do it on purpose and she seems fine, although she is now giving me a death glare...

No comments:

Post a Comment