Monday, March 3, 2014

Je mange une pomme (Day 241 KEDfaY)


Do you remember me talking about this blanket? Well, unsurprisingly, I'm still working on it. I turned in the February squares for HPKCHC and I posted my progress to the French forum. I posted, in French and responded to my replies, in French. I took zero French in high school because our French teacher was not a nice person and I decided I'd rather take German. I took a semester in college because I needed something to fill my time and it did so quite nicely. But aside from that semester of French 101 that I barely remember since it took place during a time where I really should've been put under some sort of psychiatric care and was dealing with a lot of mental health issues and didn't really have anyone who I felt I could talk to, I haven't really had any French education.

Until recently.

Today I'm going to talk about Duolingo. Never heard of it? Well you should've. Duolingo is a free website and app that teaches you, through fun (honestly, FUN) exercises, various languages. French, German, Spanish, Portuguese or Italian. They're even working on courses for Russian, Dutch, Polish, Hungarian, Turkish and Romanian. You go through and do fun little lessons that give you experience points and you can eventually level up. And it's free. I mentioned that before but I feel it needs repeating. It's free. Completely, 100% free. They run off of donations by various individuals and use students who are learning through Duolingo to translate real world webpages. It's one of the best transactions on the internet. If there's a catch, then I haven't found it and I've been a member for over a year.

You can also add friends and see their progress. I'm lmontano0 if you want to add me! Each lesson takes me about 10-15 minutes and so far I've already learned enough to (somewhat) confidently translate and respond to native French speakers online. Check it out! If anything else, it's a fun and educational time waster!

----

Knitting today was just my mystery washcloth. I know there are tons of things I should be working on instead like my vest but I seriously don't want to. I actually had a dream last night where I was designing my next large, long-term knitting project (a pi shawl knit from the silk yarn my aunt got me for Christmas because she's awesome).

No comments:

Post a Comment